May 29, 2005

Pop Culture

So I saw something on the "internet" that caught my attention: With the Star Wars saga coming to a close is this the end of pop culture? I was shocked, with a world that still thrives on people like Mike (both Jordan, Jackson, and George Michael). How could it be? I can't even say, say it ain't so. Andy Warhol and Chuck Palahniuk laughing at this thought. I was watching TNT "DVD on TV" or some crap like that, they were showing Fight Club. In one of the external segments the "host" stated a Tyler line (Brad Pitt)- Give up all material goods", but then they host says "unless it is owning the collectors edition on DVD. SPONSOR WHORE!!! I screamed. I really don't think this is what good old Chuck intended, yet it has happened. To me I see complete and utter Pop culture. Food we eat, stores we shop, clothes we wear, and places we work. Star Wars completion (like there aren't hundreds of other Star Wars books still available for making) just shows the thirst and hunger we have to be accepted by some greater power of the world. Why else would American TV sell so well in countries who hate us? We have just taken the pop culture to a new level. If Pop culture is over, then I will ask one more question---- Why are TV shows like Miami Vice, Bewitched, and Dukes of Hazard being released as new movies?

I can understand why nobody understands me, 'cause I don't understand myself

No comments:

Post a Comment