February 6, 2007

Get off your high horse

Alright so I just decided that I was going to post this after seeing a commercial for something I think is a great thing, but there has been A LOT of controversy surrounding it, that being the vaccine Gardasil, for the human pap. virus (type 6, 11, 16, 18). Now, I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I strongly support this vaccine and the use of it. Hell, my niece is being vaccinated along with all the hepatitis vaccines this year.

The controversy comes in that many counties and some states are making it a mandatory vaccine for school. Of course this has people up in arms, especially in Texas (imagine that). They fear that having their daughter vaccinated will increase the sex promiscuity of their child. I heard one news item today on this about how it will "make my daughter have premarital sex". Of course I just had to laugh my ass off at that. 1st... no vaccine makes someone have sex, 2nd... it has to do with family values and child rearing on how your child views sex and the use of it, 3rd.... why wouldn't you want to protect against something you can. I don't hear much bitching about hepatitis vaccines (there may have at one time), and guess what, that is something that is mandatory just about everywhere now and is a STD as well. Are you going to tell me that this too will make your daughter spread her legs more? Well guess what, if she does then she is just a down right slut and should at least be getting paid for all the action, the money may come in handy for the abortion (I only say this b/c obviously you didn't care to discuss the importance of sex with her so she probably doesn't value the life it made) or HIV med cocktail that she will need or any other VD treatment.

Okay so maybe I should step down from my soap box, but seriously. I wish I wasn't an outlier right now, but you see I am "past the age" in which they generally administer. Granted if I begged my doc, when I get one, I am sure I could convince her/him that I would like to have it. And something else that came about after my high school daze was the Hepatitis vaccine. So oh no, I am living on the edge by having either. Hell I would rather be on the other side of the fence on this one... and being vaccined up. After all, HPV can penetrate any physical barrier used.

Here are some links about the controversy that it is, read at your own leisure. You can paraphrase yourself; I won't do that work for you:


Texas orders
one less

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure you know how I feel about this as I've only written, like, a thousand blogs on the subject, but I think this is one of the most important vaccines to come out in our time. My Ob/Gyn basically said the same thing you've just stated. It is so, so important to protect against any cancer we can. From me, being on the other side of the coin of already being infected, I am constantly telling people how important it is. It only takes one sexual interaction, and that can even come after you're married. Alright, I've hijacked your comments enough and I'll step off my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete