February 9, 2007

It feels like a divorce

I know what you’re thinking… What are you talking about Icy; you are in no way in ANY kind of a relationship! Well, that may be where I debate with you just a bit. I am sure I am going to get some ewww gross’s out of what I am going to say, but you who do, are just perverts. I am talking about the family relationship I have with my brother. In just one week I am going to be packing up a good portion of my belongings, and moving AGAIN.


The difference this time? Well, this time it is more permanent. Not that I don’t enjoy living with my brother b/c I do. I am going to miss this house incredibly and all of our shared items. That is where the divorce part fits in. To begin with, I will be moving to housing that my new employer is able to offer me for a few months, that is I have to be out before the interns start to roll in. So that means that I can’t just take everything with me right away and have the whole process be done with. It will feel like all my other excursions lately where I take my clothes and my entertain stuff to keep myself occupied, funny b/c I am moving back to a place that I have already lived. I am not moving incredibly far away from my Seattle surroundings, so I can always come back and pick up more stuff and do a gradual move, just needing to make one big trip for my, dismal amount of furniture. :(

I have been trying to minimize the time I would need to request off of work to move, so I have been sorting stuff and throwing out clutter, one think I like about moving, reducing my “stuff”. But it was sad today when I was working in the kitchen, b/c so much of the kitchen tools have been acquired after we moved here. I know mostly the stuff I brought with and definitely what was his. I am having a hard time with dividing out what stuff has accumulated. I am being as fair as possible and actually giving him some of my most prized kitchen ware. I.e... my glass cake pan. Everything basically went one for you, one for me. I now have the cabinets and cupboards divided with my wares in certain areas. Funny thing is after I collect my stuff, I don’t see my brother going and spreading his stuff out more to fill up the half that will now be empty. Lol

Another area that may be difficult to go through will be the media collection. We have a huge movie library. I know a few titles that I own outright. But again, I did all the purchasing of the movies, but was reimbursed for a good part of the purchase. I think we may bicker over a few titles. We may have to look at it as “long term” borrowing and I can bring them back when I make visits back home.

Last but not least, the cats…. Sigh this is a tough one for me. I will have to leave my Onyx at home while I am staying in company housing. And it will be they first time I have been away from her since the day she was dropped off WRR. But, I WILL find cat friendly housing. Fallobur on the other hand, well he is as much my cat as Onyx is, but he has a much stronger bond with my brother, and I can’t leave my brother without any company. I didn’t think I would get so emotional about him, b/c he has stayed with my brother before when I went on my many adventures. But, right now I feel like crying. It could be the combination of the unknown. This will be the first time I am “on my own” I have always had roomies, so this will be strange. I look forward to this adventure, but at the same time I feel like a chapter is coming to an end. It was long chapter, but it was a very good chapter over all. The sad part, it ends with something that feels like a divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment