July 21, 2009

swim time

Today was a hectic morning... I mean hectic.. with the intake of 2 new seals and also getting in a raccoon that had a huge chunk missing from his back at the base of the tail (having many broken bones, as well as the 2 wounds being infested with maggots (more info than you wanted I'm sure)). I was really nervous on how the rest of the day would go, luckily- it calmed down. The interns did great today to keep us on task while I was indisposed checking in and checking over the new critters as well as showing another staff member on how we process blood samples we take from the seals. Thanks gals!!

This afternoon, like I mentioned was slower, we were able to get some projects done as well as time to watch Fatmucket take his first full swim in a pool! Boy did he like it, he needed no coaxing into the pool, he was a very strong swimmer, zooming around the pool, playing with his fish I had put in the pool with him, enjoying the in flow pipe, and also hauled out on the platform on his first full try!!! He is one smart cookie!!

Here are some photos of the swim.

Hello!

deep swim.

I knew he would be a belly swimmer from all of his tub swim.

An underwater picture of Fatmucket.. his head is above the water.

movin' around.

I see you.

Inflow pipe, swimming against the flow

looking for his fish.

heads up.

Wasn't ready to haul out yet.


Here is a SHORT video clip of the first part of the swim.

Hope you enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment