July 1, 2009

photos to replace video

Okay a few more photos of cute critters! I have been trying since 6:30 to upload the otter video but I think the length is causing a problem. I have just been letting it run on another browser... so keep your fingers crossed it is done by the time I go to bed :)

Tonight I went to a talk that Dr. Joe Gaydos, our marine mammal vet, was giving on Elephant Seals at the Whale Museum. It was faboo, but he can make almost anything entertaining. I learned lots, like did you know that the northern population of Ele seals was considered to be extinct in the mid 1800s b/c of over hunting for a special oil they blubber produces. They can dive up to a mile! And the males with the largest noses typically win over the ladies, which the largest ladies are usually chosen by the strongest males. /sigh.. life as a ele seal would be great! haha.

anyway some more photos of cuteness and animals.

The snowshoe on daily weigh in!

Look at those ears... <3

snuggles.

just all over fluffy!

We finally id'ed this bird. I took my camera out, snapped some pictures came back and went through page after page of the Sibley's looking at the juvi birds. Must be a Savannah Sparrow, now we know where to release him/her.

Close up, the things that nailed it, the dark eye stripe and jowl lines, plus the yellowish under the jowl lines.

Eagle in the eagle flight cage aka the build at home Ikea kit for all your home eagle flight needs.

close up.. majestic

blurry b/c of the push off to fly clear to the other end of the 140 foot 30 degree dogleg cage.

Hope you enjoyed. soon off to sleepy town for me as the songbirds have invaded the hollow. I have way to much to do to get there when I do so earlier arrival better!

No comments:

Post a Comment