June 30, 2009

afternoon/evening of excitement.

Again, it has been a few days since I have blogged, but summer has beckoned and when I get home I just want to crash out. I am glad that I haven't lost the want to take pictures at work, just the lack of time. Today I have some photos for you, but we will get there after we rewind a few days.

Sunday was a day of "rest" and man did I get restless. I was in a funk all day and finally at 8:45 went F*** I need to get out of my house. I ended my cell phone chat with a friend and headed south. Not that I can go all that far after all I am on a small island. But I got to redoubt at American Camp just a few minutes after sunset. I needed to run, and run I did. I cut about 10 minutes off my loop time which I am really shocked I was able to do since I run in almost a month. I didn't do it in one long stint but 2 moderate ones. I was highly impressed with myself. I then headed to town, caught up with a few friends before heading home. Here are a few pictures of the view I got to take in while running. It was very soothing.

Looking out to the Olympics

Looking Northish.

Mt. Baker light by the the sunset.

Now onto today. The day was pretty hectic at first but that is b/c I just couldn't seem to get in the groove this morning. It didn't help that the phone kept ringing, the answer machine tapes got all goofy so I had to rerecord 3 of them, and our fiesty raccoon decided to break out of his tub over night and I found him sitting on top of another cage this morning.. Not looking so good. I had many moves I wanted to get accomplished this morning and feared that it wouldn't get done. But we were able to get the starling groups together, the robins moved out to an aviary, some fo the coon kits vacinated and put in with others, and even getting the fox kits in together. I think the thing that actually caught me to stop and catch my breath was doing the otter swim. I have posted a video of this at the bottom of this post. Watch it... Soon after lunch I had to head to town for a meeting with the San Juan County Marine Mammal Stranding Network (SJCMMSN) to discuss this years seal season and the coordination we need to have maintain. Back to work I was able to get a small amount of paperwork done before starting the last afternoon feeds. I found out we had some animals arriving on the 5:15 flight and one was one that we haven't had a center since I have been there, Shona doesn't remember one at center ever. They generally go to mainland volunteers, but not to us (I know the anticipation is killing you but you will see when you get to the pictures).

Just when I think the day is over after checking in these guys, our seasonal Kailee went out on a fawn rescue. So I stuck around to help check it in; went back to our Quiet Room and started to pull up formula for the 6pm bunny feed. Our intern, Izzy came back and told me, "Kailee got the truck stuck, so I don't know what you want to do." Jimmy to the rescue!! I headed out, found her we used the tow rope I keep in my truck and pulled her out of the loose gravel she was stuck in (damn rear wheel drives with no weight back there!) Back at center we got the bunnies fed, I gave meds to the fawn and headed home... FINALLY.

Here are some work pictures for the day.

The barred owlet is now outside. I made one of the rookie moves in rehab. I was just mindless going into the cage without looking to see where the bird ones first. Next thing I hear is clack clack clack. I look up and here is the barred owl just above my eye level and about a foot away. That could have been disastous!

Some of the new arrivals. 3 Tree swallows- they are dirty here and will need some clean up. the finder thought it was a good idea to feed them bread soaked in milk! For anyone not in the animal world.. this IS a bad idea!

Three Tree Swallows.. say that repeatively fast

Oh the excitement!!!! Our new arrival. I know it looks like a bunny but it isn't. It is a hare, a snowshoe hare to be specific! I had to call PAWS Wildlife Center in Lynnwood to get their protocol!

Isn't that just the cutest thing you could ever imagine!! Has a small hole to the ear from being caught by a cat. And is close to the weight that it would be on its own. Just got to give it some meds and get it there without it keeling over from stress.

Okay, enjoy the video below. I want to get back to my chicken, bean, cheese, tator tot burrito.


Sorry video stuck in downloading... after 3 hours I am giving up and going to bed. I will try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment