January 9, 2007

If you love, set it free. If it loves you, it will return.

Soo… I have a story for you… it starts about 10 yrs ago; late summer of ’98 actually. See I had a boyfriend at the time and we visited the Central States Fair in Rapid City, SD. Well, through a series of unfortunate events, I lost my class ring. Yes, that does mean I rode a ride that got me physically sick and didn’t realize that I washed the ring off of my hand. I noticed an hour or so later that my ring was gone!! We retraced our steps and never found. I told my mom about it the next morning of course I was extremely upset. A few hours later we get a call from someone saying they had found my ring and was wondering if I had a reward out for it. I was in shock and said yes…. Mom and I hadn’t discussed it but I just randomly said 50 dollars, b/c I knew that is how much it would cost for me to get my one time lost replacement. I guess this wasn’t good enough, b/c I never heard from this person again. Making me sad and getting my replacement ring from the company.

Shoot ahead to about 1 hour ago. I was on the phone with my mom, and she asked me if I still had that second class ring I got. I was a bit baffled by this question and replied I still have the replacement ring I got yes, and that I should send it in b/c the stone is showing some odd wear, after all, I do wear it every day! I am still baffled in where this all is going.

My mom says, “Well I have a story for you.” Okay, not knowing where this is going, my thought is she bought me new one thinking I had lost my second one. Anyway, back to the story. My mom gets a message on her home phone from the “new” assistant vice-principal of my high school asking if she is related to me and would like her to call him back. Well she does, and informs him that she is in fact my mother. He goes into his part of the story.

Last week he went home to visit family, in Marten, SD… is amazingly enough not to far from where my mother grew up. Where he saw his sister that had “a ring” from Sturgis Brown High School, she had acquired it from a friend who was looking for a pawn shop and the sister said she would buy it for 20 dollars. Once she gave it the look over, she then gave it to her brother who is the vice-principal of my high school. My mom swapped him my story for the one he had just told. He told my mom she could come pick it up anytime she wanted. So, my mom and dad make the trip out to the high school were they run into the office and of course the clerical recognizes my mom. Haha... that makes me laugh; the vp calling my mom asking if she was related to me, all he needed to do was ask ½ of the staff and they would have known that, and as if they don’t have my information on file still. Pls... my mom gets postcards about once a month for me about reunion shit and what not, and we are the only, only people in town with our surname.

So basically I am getting another ring… means that I have a replacement if I ever lose one and have one to wear when the other is in for repair. First off, the one being sent to me will be sent in to be sized, I already know that it is going to be too big since of course I lost it so easily and then maybe I will send in the other to have the stone replaced since it is pretty worn from being set croaked.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that's awesome! You should totally wear both of them at once to see if you can confuse anyone. "Yup, I graduated twice... It was a special privilege."

    ReplyDelete