June 17, 2005

A day for the planaria

Graduation was a definitely a day to remember. I am going to claim it was a day for the planaria. The ceremony took place in grand Huskie stadium, which would have been grand if the skies had not decided to open and replenish Puget Sound with moisture. I know, a bit of an exaggeration, but that is what it felt like. Certain people, name ALMOST EVERYONE, couldn't handle getting a tiny bit wet. They woosed out and rain for the stands to get an umbrella from good old mom and dad. And soon after the college started to provide clear ponchos to the students. Well, at this point there becomes the dilemma.... I am already soaked so why bother, or get a poncho to prevent my white shirt under my gown from become even more see through.?.... I can tell you this; I was sitting wit"h 4 other students who had braved the weather of San Juan Island at Friday Harbor (2 in my ZooBots course, and 2 from a previous year ZooBots), so we know what it is like to be stuck out somewhere without your raingear. The five of us toughed it out even though faculty kept asking us if we wanted ponchos and amist the parents or other family members calling or texting our cells telling us they wanted to leave. I forced my family to stay until I walked across the stage (at which point I was completely drenched and shaking like a leaf). Our Mortar boards were so soggy (and not just us who refused ponchos) that we all looked like pointy head planaria. Hence, it was a day for the planaria.

"Do not listen to those who say, 'You're taking too big a chance.' If he did not take a big chance, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor and it would surely be rubbed out today." Neil Simon ~commencement speech at Williams College, 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment