May 21, 2009

a few snap shots.

Today I left my electrical equipment at home, except for my point and shoot camera.  Which of course was a mistake.  Well at least not taking my new Nikon with me.  I surely didn't have time today to sit down at my laptop and do a bit of dabbling on the tubes.   As it was a run run run kinda of day.

The day started out very weird.  I was doing the first feed of the day, a cottontail bunny whose eyes just opened and s/he was feeding very well.  So well in fact that it was just actively swallowing all of it down.  I thought it was a bit strange so I pulled the nipple out of the mouth and it wasn't moving!!  OMG, this little bunny died while I was feeding it.  I held it head down and did a few compressions on its back and then s/he took a huge deep gasping breath.  Holy crap, I resuscitated the rabbit!  Next on my list was upgrades; I was able to get many of our little songbirds upgraded, which is what I wanted to get done over the last 2 days and finally just set at gettin r dun.  I also had to run to town to pick up a new songbird arrival who we also got set up.  Shortly after, we had someone drop off a white footed mouse, they are oh so cute.  This one is not quite an adult and had been caught by a cat, so we will keep her for a few days and then get her out the door.

Since we have a few interns in, it was time to treat them to a nice lunch.  So I did the order pizza and pick it up.  It was pretty damn good.  I had heard that Jimmy's pizza hadn't been very good lately, but they pulled through for us today!  Like our seasonal rehabber said after the first bite... "this is damn near orgasmic!"  lol

The day continued on with more feeds and witty banter between staff... oh some days I love my "Fridays".  The 2 pm feed was the second attempt to get the otters to start to feed from a dish.   Oh I will tell you that the pictures do not convey the hilarity and the epic mess this creates.

Whoops, walking through the formula.. aww more on them than in them.

Shona trying to convince them to take the nipple down into the formula. I try to syringe some slurry at them from the bowl.

look at the mess on the floor.

Just keep trying..

the little girl which Shona is feeding is very slurpy at the nipple and biting on it.   She was just going to town without getting much.. Of course both the boys had walked away from me.

Back at trying to feed.

nom nom nom


Our Great Blue Heron is up on a perch!  Yeah he can fly!

Close up!

Not much happened at the end of the day.  I was thinking about going for a run after work, but since I left my Nikon at home, that meant I didn't have my iPod either since it is in my camera bag.  I thought about Lime Kiln too to whale watch.. but again, without my camera it would have just been depressing.  So home I am with not much else going on.

Sounds like it will be nice for my two days off.  Hopefully I can get out there and do something in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment