May 19, 2009

Recovery

Today was a long and interesting day.   We had surgery scheduled for our little fox kit today which was great.  The fox has a broken femur (from being stepped on by a deer!).  The vet was able to put a pin in the leg that she will remove in just a few short weeks!  Until then she will be getting some antibiotics to fight infection and pain management (NSAID) medication to help with inflammation.  We also got a new arrival this morning, a new fawn was brought in.  I probably would have sent it back out the door except for one thing.  Something grabbed this little guy by his head!  I can't be certain, but it looks like it may have been a dog (but who knows, maybe it was a fox)... humm now that would be interesting if both of the cases I am talking about today are deer vs. fox and fox vs. deer!  Anyway, b/c of the damage that was done, puncture wounds and lacerations all over the head, I wanted to take some radiographs.  Because the fawn was a bit jumpy I gave it a very mild sedative to help make it easier to xray.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the graphs, so when I picked up the fox I dropped off the rads there.  Like I had mentioned, I gave it a mild sedative but deer are very strange creatures--  either the sedative just doesn't take, or it knocks them out quite well.  Well, he is on the quite well scale and even when I left for the night he was still sleeping quite soundly. 

Here are a few picture I took today.. I would say maybe someday I will quit taking photos at work, but I know that is what you come here for :)

The three barn owls, up on perches.

Soo funny

put the wings out and sway!

little tea kettles.

I was really trying to get a photo while they were sleeping there, but every time I peeked through the window they would start their threat display.


The fox after surgery today, before being moved into her carrier.

Aren't I just adorable!

shaved leg and stitches

back in her carrier, ready for food


I hope you enjoyed the photos.  

No comments:

Post a Comment