November 25, 2008

a day much like a summer one!

Oh, not weather wise... it was chilly and rainy today, but more like in the only chance I got to sit down at work today was for lunch, which I still worked on paperwork, read over resumes for our posted position, and answered phone calls, as well as, the end of the day when I was again working on paperwork.

Why so busy you may be wondering. Well, it was just Shona and I today and we had a list a mile long of projects that her and I needed to get done. So after a quick round of feeds this morning it was time to do blood draws. With the intake of the Trumpeter Swan we generally run blood labs and we are looking for possible lead poisoning as well as just a general blood chemistry scan. We don't necessarily think that the swan has lead toxicity, but it is something we like to make sure of, we also do the same thing with eagles. We also drew blood on the last 2 of the seals, so we can get them out of the center before I had home to South Dakota in December. This took all morning to finish getting the samples ready, and before I knew it it was noon before I was heading back to the center after dropping off the samples with UPS and the USPS.

After checking on the animals, getting laundry, and dishes done. I finally sat down for lunch and worked on paperwork from the morning feeds, and blood draws, plus filling out the release paperwork from the flying squirrel and pygmy owl from yesterday evening. I then proceeded to work on the afternoon checklist, sorting fish, cleaning carriers, folding 6 loads of laundry.

I worked on a few more of the projects like calling Dr. Gaydos about seal health checks, prepping the trailer to be moved to the fawn enclosure, getting the coon gloves & covers ready for tonight's release. Once again it was feed time, so I we feed most the animals, and before it got too dark her and I moved the trailer to set up at the fawn yard release door, so they have a few days to get use to it before we load them up next week for release. We came back into the office, we then tubed the swan as her bloods showed dehydration, and she isn't eating a large amount (better safe than sorry). Then off to the raccoon cage to catch the last 4 raccoons for release, boy these guys were smart and kept circling the tree. As I was trying to use a net and the branches sticking out from the tree kept hanging me up, they were able to scurry back around out of my reach to encourage them to come down the fencing. Eventually we got them all and loaded in the truck for Shona to take tonight on her way home. I once again got to sit down for a few minutes to complete evening feed paperwork and release paperwork, before I headed out the door.

It wasn't quite as long as work day that happens in the the summer, but it still was a basic sun up to sun down kind of day. It also just felt that busy b/c of the fact that it was Shona and I for the big stuff and just me for the normal stuff.

Hope you all had a good day, and if I don't get a chance to blog, may your "most drunken night of the year" be a great day (Wednesday before Thanksgiving), as well as your Turkey day.

No comments:

Post a Comment