November 23, 2008

Yet another first for me

Well, today was a day that I think was inevitably going to happen. Especially since Shona and I had been discussing it, as well as, a friend of mine asking me if I had ever taken care of "them". What am I being so cryptic about.... we got a juvenile trumpeter swan tonight. I have been saying that I am very fearful of getting one in, and I was quite astonished about just how big they are. I was really preparing myself, but s/he is huge, like a large small child. Some stats on the swan, the weight is about 9 kg (20 lbs), the feet are larger than my hands. The neck is between 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, and the wing span over 7 feet! The coloration is mainly grey with some white feathers on the wings. Bill is black at the base and at the end, but pink in the middle. They have really beady looking eyes, but was quite calm when we had him/her pinned to the floor by sitting over top him/her and could snake the head out from under the towel!! I was very fearful of getting swan "hickey" b/c I can only image the pain that that would cause, I know goose hickeys all to well! But Shona told me that they are much like geese, and are more likely to use their wings to "beat" down a possible of threat and possible break a bone (I would more assume their bones and not our bones :D).

I am really hoping that s/he will eat over tomorrow so we don't have to tube a slurry mix. And I hope I will be able to get some pictures. I was more concerned with getting him/her checked in, rehydrated, and set up. Heather also came in and took some photos which I am sure she will have posted later on her site.

No comments:

Post a Comment