November 8, 2008

Looking for answers.

Okay I guess I can post the answers to the guess who, even though a few have found out by first hand seeing it in person. Yeah, I had a few people really think I had a hickey, you think they would know me by now, that it wouldn't be such a thing (for multiple reasons).

First off the latest arrival that spent the night at my house was another Pygmy owl. Both of the ones at the center are doing quite well.

And the marks on my neck were made by a Red-tailed hawk. Neither one of us are to blame to the fault of the incident. I was taking precautions to avoid it, and well she just wanted her food. Because of the photo period we are in on the island, BoP's are going through their "I need to bulk up for winter phase". They don't understand being in a cage that she won't struggle to find enough food for the next few months. So, she jumped up on her perch across from the door and I peeked in at her before I went to throw the piece of venison to the far end of her cage. Once I saw her up there; I re latched her door and walked to the far end of her cage to entice her down and avoid high injury, I could always shoe her back with my big work boots. Well, bam she was back up on the perch when I again peeked. So, I pushed the door shut to think about how I was going to handle this. I was just about ready to put the venison back into the tray I brought it out in, and go feed the fawns and would come back and maybe then she would have gotten the idea that I wouldn't feed her if she was going to be in "attack mode". Well I didn't get that option b/c she hit the door I was just holding shut, pushed it open, got her right talon out, and bomb made contact with my neck. Soon she hit the ground and jumped back, almost like she knew "oops.. I wasn't suppose to do that." and I was able to quickly throw the meat into the opposite end of the cage. Which she actually just kind of stood there, like wait you aren't going to make me come to the glove now? I really wish I knew what she was thinking, and if they can recognize one person from another, b/c I am not the one who gloves her, ever!

Here is a picture of the culprit.


So that is the story of the neck marks. Since then, I work in the horrid pouring rain we had on Thursday, making for a miserable day. Yesterday, I didn't do much besides hang out at a friend's house all day. Today, I have been a bit productive. I was able to get my recycling to the dump, make chili, which will simmer all afternoon before it will be ready, and also got my apartment picked up and feel very relieved to have a clean house again.

No comments:

Post a Comment