December 28, 2008

all that remains

From the title I think you can probably guess that is is about the snow. Just one short week ago I was barrelling though ~6 inches of snow to get to work. Today, not the case what so ever. Yes, there is still lingering patches on the ground, a lot of them being really icy patches where someone walked once and trampled it down just enough to allow the melting snow to use it as the flow channel. I don't know how many times I about biffed it this morning walking down the hill to feed the trumpeter swan and check on the barred owl. Even the two little deer aren't as anxious to find you for food, as they can now get to greenery on their own. Sadly though, Filchner is now just a pile of snow on the platform. I am really surprised he has lasted this long.


Looks like the construction company came and got their bobcat over the weekend.

With the calmer, warmer weather we can now try to get a lot of the in house animals outside, or back outside if they came in for the storm. We have been able to move the barred owl into a larger more open enclosure (hence why I don't have any after photos of the woods of WH since I didn't have a need to go back there). Plus I got the rock pigeon, and gray squirrel outside for them to become more fit and acclimated before we send them off to be free animals. We still need to get the first saw-whet back outside, but as with all the water. The aviary where she would go has some issues with the panels going back into place b/c of moisture swelling. Hopefully in the next day or two I can get the panels back up and her outside. The other thing I am waiting for is our pool in the wet pen to thaw so I can move both Canada Geese outside. That may take more than just a few days as it is about 2 1/2 feet deep and roughly 8 foot x 3 feet.

Other than that, it is 43 degrees, sun is shining and everything is sloppy. I suppose I should be getting myself back to doing something productive at work :D

No comments:

Post a Comment