December 21, 2008

Too many titles, it needs subtitles

Yeah, this blog is gonna be a dozy so hold on to your hats for a fun ride. As the title suggests it is true, there are going to be subtitles to hold everything together. :D

I make my own Path:

So basically I made the initial path down San Juan Valley/Boyce Road today. And once at work it was the same thing. I just about slid into our closed gate, and set foot on virginal snow. I have to tell you I felt slightly dirty and almost like a rapist leaving my marks on the virginal snow all over the hollow today. I felt slightly better after seeing little birdy, rat, mice, deer, raccoon, and fox prints after a while.




Tracks from my truck (note: tire is full, keep reading for that info)




How the eagle flight looked today, we weren't able to test the netting yet, but if they needed to breakaway, they would do exactly what they look like here, hanging down to the side.

Our two little escapees from the Deer Release day, they are probably the lucky ones, b/c we are supplimentally feeding them through this storm.


Water water everywhere but not from melting snow:

This could quite possibly sound self explanatory especially if you are one of the many who have been worrying about busted pipes due to the freezing weather. While it happened to us, as much as Shona tried to brace Wolf Hollow for this, by having heat lamps and keeping the heaters on in the building, but it didn't help. The pipe went in one place we couldn't get too. Hindsight of course is 20/20, and we we now know where we will have to shut the water off if we need to prevent this again. For now, we have all the water shut off to the building if we aren't there, and only have water to 1/2 the building until the weather cooperates for us to fix the issue. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of this, as it was more important to get the 2 inches of water out of all but 2 of the rooms out of the building. Needless to say I was soaked up to my knees for using a squeegee for roughly 4 hours.

Seals in December?

After said morning I decided to give myself a little play break at work, even though I was soaked to the knees (I know this isn't going to help with my cold)-I went out side and build this:









It's a snow seal!! I named him Filchner. He only took me about 30 minutes to make (so figure that to be my lunch break, since I was working on my lunch). The snow is great packable snow, the kind that stings and leaves welts when hurled in snowball form. It isn't the best roll able snow for a snowman, but since I basically made the head outside of the pool and the body and flippers in place it worked great! I did remember once I was up there, that I had broken one of the pedestals for the platform two days after we released the seals, but I just stuck to moving on the sides that were supported and carefully brushed the snow off the rest of the platform with my foot.

Pop goes the tire:

And the latest thing to lead up to this very moment. My tire on my car. When I left my brother's house the other day I checked my tires and filled up em up. Well, today when I came out of the Hollow to head for home I noticed my tire was 1/2 flat. So I carefully drove to town (not that I wouldn't b/c of the snowy/icy roads :P) where I went to IPS to fill my tire and my spare if it was needed. Yeah, their air sucks, I called a friend of mine to find out who else had compressed air and found out Petro San Juan did. I ran over there filled my tires at which point I found out why my tire was losing air, I was down to the steal belts!!! OMG, guess I need to go get me some new tires. I got home called my friend up to say head, my way to give me a hand. I got to the point where I had the old tire off; called him up and said aww forget it I am half done. I then turned around to put the new tire on, and with the snow and everything the star lugs were too low... back on the phone saying aww I do need your help, b/c I need another jack for under the springs to get my tire on. He said "okay, I'll head out". In the mean time, I called my folks to let them know the good news, basically.. since you haven't gotten me anything "big" yet for Christmas, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me with tires :D (there was a big grin in my voice, but since my voice is next to nothing and even talking sounds like I have been crying for hours it was hard to tell). Still no Lyle, to help me with my tire. I rang him back and got voicemail; I figured that meant he was on his way. Then my phone rang.... awww... yeah, water issues in the garage/outbuilding behind his house...waiting for landlord... won't be able to get over for a while.... you get the drift. I tried to call a few more people with no success, around 6 ish he was finally able to head over and after just a few more minutes, a jack under the springs, tire up and on. I was good to go with my spare...Whew! What a story.
One Helluva Day:
As for now, I need to get me some dinner, and make some cookies for our thank you plates we give to the business that do a lot to support us at Wolf Hollow.

1 comment: