December 15, 2008

bitter, bitter cold

Not much to really blog about right now. I haven't done much but shop with my family in Sioux Falls. Yesterday the Blizzard came through SoDak that pushed 40-50 mph winds and a few inches of snow. Initially when I woke up I-90 was closed from Chamberlain to Wyo border. This meant getting back to my parents looked like it was a no go. Outside it was a minus 8 degrees, and that was before the windchill.

We had a slow morning. I was a bit antsy for both wanting to get back to my parents (I really wanted to have a room to myself that didn't smell like gymnastics clothes!) and I also wanted to open and have family open the Christmas presents for our "Christmas day". I got some nice stuff, a new digital camera that was much needed, a few books from my constantly growing book list, clothes, a puzzle, some fun drinking mixes & ice shot glass molds, 2 new M&M dispensers, new tips & flights for my darts! Overall a very good score, and knowing my mom it isn't done yet.

Eventually the interstate became open but of course travel wasn't advised, we headed out on a headache, heart pounding trip. The trip took us an hour longer than it normally does and the first hour we didn't top more than 45 mph at times because of the horrible visibility. I did take some photos on my cell phone, but do not have my card adaptor to upload the photos of conditions we were driving in. Once home, I was able to breath finally (and get warm, Suburbans are not meant to be a comfort ride especially when the wind is pounding on the side you are sitting on at minus some number. I was in bed by 9:30 last night and was out like a light shortly after that.

This morning I slept in (roughly 9:30) and feel quite refreshed with sleep, finally! Still in the negative numbers for temperature outside, but the wind has died off completely. Around 3 my dad, brother, and I did a CR (City Run) and went looking for critters, we saw a number of deer all around town, and then drove the loop of Paisley Terr (where my folks live) and there were 17 turkeys in the trees, 10 of them in the tree in the neighbors yard. I did take photos of them, here are is photo out of one of the guest rooms of my parents.


Turkeys in the trees


Even closer


Even closer yet.. sorry it is dark, but well it is dark!


My parents fat cat: Bood Guddy
Tomorrow is to be above zero, maybe I will take a walk up to the cemetery, but it really depends on how I am feeling as it appears the my mom has spread a cold to both me and Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment