December 20, 2008

Homeward bound

While I have finally hit the ferry to head back to the island, and boy I am quite excited. It feels really weird to say that, as a lot of the time on the island I am worrying about fastest way or the soonest I can get off. I guess that can only say one thing for me, it has officially become home for me. You know that feeling, where it is good to leave, but feels much better to come home too. Don’t fret Seattle peeps this doesn’t mean that I won’t come and visit, it just means that I have “settled” myself just a bit more.

It has been a snow filled couple of weeks for me, starting in South Dakota, but continuing on in the “December freeze” in Seattle, with my brothers house getting about 6 inches of packable snow the 18th of December. This caused a lot of issues in the traveling department. I would say it is best that decided to hang out North Bend for a few days instead of trying to book it back to the island. I think that I did make a good decision both in waiting, but not waiting too long as the Pacific Northwest is gonna be nailed again tonight with another winter blast. They are predicting wind gust from 50-90 mph, and depending on where you live it could be coming down the Cascades, or coming in for the ocean on outer coast. They also say that after that a warmer system is going to move in from off shore and will bring with it rain. GREAT! Just what we need to have on top of all the snow we have, water to freeze it down even more.

My drive up I-5 proved to be mainly uneventful. The only place that I ran into some “trouble” was between mile marker 208 (Arlington) and 218, where the center lane was complete ice and snow pack and the other 2 lanes didn’t fair much better. I was unfortunately in the center lane when the “crappy” section started. I immediately threw the truck in 4 wheel drive, but I still had 2 moments where the ass end got squirrelly on me. Good thing I grew up in a place like South Dakota that thought me how to react in such situations. Basically I just let off the gas and he got traction once again – easy peasy.

Now to just get home and settle down, get warm, do laundry, bake some goodies, make some dinner, and get caught up on my shows! Shh, don’t tell on me, but I did take some pictures as I drove up I-5. I was good enough to use my Blue tooth headset to be “hands free” as it is now law in this state even though I could have counted more than two dozen people not doing that today.

I hope you can enjoy this winter wonderland from the warmth of your homes.






A picture from the ferry line. Mt. Baker in the background. Check out the gull chilling on the icy parking lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment