December 22, 2008

another blanket

This morning I was greeted by another blanket of snow on the ground best guess 3 more inches (?). Though I figured this would be the case as it was snowing when we finished changing my tire last night. The spare has held (thank God, as I know it has a tendency to go flat in my truck and it gets filled back up, roughly once a year). Off I trod through the snow to work. Today, the roads had not been untouched, I am pretty sure someone had run a plow down them, but they were a beautiful pure white, not dirty with slush, gravel, or what appeared to be any other impurities. The trees all hung heavy with the new accumulation, as it was a frosty wet snow last night (the temp bordered 32 degrees). Meaning it was absolutely gorgeous on my drive to work. I may dislike the snow, but sometimes, like this morning, it made me smile. I couldn't resist getting my camera in hand and snapping a few photos on my way into work. You can tsk-tsk me later for doing such a silly thing.


Right before getting to Douglas Rd.








At one point I was rounding the corner and facing Wood Duck lane a breeze came up and whooshed some of the snow off of the trees and it just created a domino effect from one tree to the next knocking snow down, all the way to the power line that dropped snow on me as I passed under. (click the photo to see the cascade better)



Another breeze caught snow, blowing it across San Juan Valley right before the Wold Rd./Boyce Rd junction. Really words, and a quick snap of the camera cannot express just how beautiful watching the swirling snow curl up and then back down and then get swirled again. It was a very intricate dance that played out through the breath of wind and the light complex flakes.

Work to this point, I sit typing on my lunch break, has been much smoother than yesterday. I am back in the rhythm, only took a little over an hour to feed all the critter, and there hasn't been any major water issues at this point. I have even been able to do three load of laundry in the one machine that has water still running to it. My snow seal has survived the night, I should go brush the snow that has landed on him to make him look smooth again.

Scary clouds hung overhead, but only briefly


Winter Scape.. this is back in the "forest" of the hollow

Looking up through the canopy, sun to the east.


I left the trumpeter swan bowls off to the side of the trail as I didn't want to carry them all way way back into the woods... hmm... wonder what decided to try to steal a snack??


It was this little guy/gal, a Spotted Towhee (also known as a Rufous-sided Towhee :D)


Here are the 2 returning jail mates looking for a free meal.


Just can't refuse them in this weather!

Keep warm and safe. It looks like our temps are going to hold around 32 for the next few days, and then up to 38 with a good chance of rain on Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment