February 26, 2009

covered

I woke up this morning to a covering of snow on the ground and all over my car.  I kind of thought this to be a possibility as there was an icy rain falling when I came home from work last night.  My doors were frozen shut, but not enough that I couldn't get it (I couldn't get into the hatch on the jimmy so I had to climb through the front to get my ice scraper and brush).  I had to throw it in 4x to even get to the post office where I picked up another 16 intern applications that I will have to read through in the next few days.  I was a little on the slow side today to the into gear, but soon I had all the animals fed & cleaned and my everyday projects down.  When Shona told me the Internet didn't want to work.  I tried with my laptop and sure enough it was down :(  She ran out to reset the system and as I looked out the window I saw a light buffy color fluff ball sitting on top of one of the shrubs out front.  I tried to get a photo from the front stoop, but it wasn't a great one, and when I zoomed in he/she flew off mid shot.  There aren't too many birds that are buffy/grayish white in coat, a tinge smaller than a robin, sits upright, and has a black eye stripe.  My guess, as well as Shona's after seeing the picture zoomed in as best I could, a Northern Shrike.  Yippee.

We spent most of the day trying to get my computer to link up to the Internet (our work one would, but my laptop not at all).  So instead I worked on writing questions to ask a potential Volunteer Coordinator, a new sign "Don't be a Fomite" to encourage proper glove wear and hand washing practices for Wolf Hollow, and washing walls in prep for paint.  Whew, all before lunch.  After lunch we had a few different visitors, one being our avian vet who came out to look at the newest radiograph of the Thayers Gull, who has a pellet lodged in the Ulna of the right wing.  The bone has fragmented a bit more, so we thought the outcome was going down hill.  Michelle suggested keeping it wrapped and "wait and see" re radiograph in 2 weeks.  Of course, we also caught up the Trumpeter Swan, who is getting very wise to the whole operation of being caught.  We used laser therapy on the hock again, it looks much better.  But it is hard to tell the how the foot all the weight is on is doing,   I can't say it looks better or worse just different.  We will now have to discuss where to go from here with her.  

Now time for a relaxing night, if the pager stays quiet, and working on laundry.
Hope you all have a nice evening as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment