February 19, 2009

Eagles to a carcass like moths to a light

We put another deer carcass out in our "field" today.  Man, let me tell you the eagles were a buzzing today.  At one point I counted 8 different eagles all perched.  I think I saw another 4 flying over head at that time too.  5 of the eagles were juveniles, and 3 were adult (balds).  It was pretty damn amazing!  2 juvi bald eagles were perched in one tree over our seal pools with an adult nearby.  3 more juvies were in a scraggly doug fur just across from the carcass.  Of course when I went to take a pic of them 2 of the three took off.  

I was able to get some great images of the light mottled eagle (my favorite Wolf Hollow visitor).

Adult perched in the tree.. very dirty head and beak.  Kept talking to the juvi

Order went in wrong, but this is the GHO in house.  still has a head tilt

One of the juvies in flight


Yum.. lunch

Look at that full crop

The two juvies.. you really wonder what the dialogue is between branch sharers.

They don't seem to bothered by one another.

At this point, I am in line for the ferry waiting to get off the rock for the weekend.  I am heading to the Western Washington Rehabilitators Association Conference.  I am excited to an off island adventure and getting to see some of Seattle friends again.  It has been too long.  But will probably have the chance again in just a matter of weeks when I head down to fly out to Chicago for the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association Symposium.  Good times, good times.  We rehab ourselves as well as learn the newest in medical and treatment techniques.

I hope you enjoyed the photos and have a good night.. as for me.. I will be a travelin.

No comments:

Post a Comment