February 14, 2009

The day I wasn't

Yesterday started out like the typical Friday for me.  Laying in bed yelling at Onyx because she is playing with something way to early in the morning when I am trying to sleep in on my day off.  Getting up and dressed, turning on the coffee pot to warm my left over coffee (yes feel free to make fun of me for it others already do :)), turning on the computer, and contemplating what to make for breakfast.  I had just sat down with pancakes and coffee when I got an IM from a friend on Facebook, typical chit chat happened and then a statement about heading to Rocky Bay for coffee.  Since I was already half way through with breakfast I just told him I would head down and grab some coffee with him.  It had to be better than what I was drinking, which I dumped out after about half a cup.  Walking down I cut across a commonly cut across field to find out it was soaking wet in the middle-- white shoes not so white any more,  I spooked a bird out of the soggy section. I couldn't quite make it out, as it wasn't a "normal" bird I see regularly.  I was describing (which me describing it isn't basically useless) it to Jason and we were both a bit puzzled.  It wasn't until later that I knew it was a female Western Meadowlark all the pictures I can find on the web show males with their bright yellow chest but she didn't have that.  Anyway, heading back towards home from Rocky Bay, Jason said he has been watching the red-tailed hawks down at Mt. Finlayson and he was thinking about heading down there and doing some birding today and I could join if I wanted.  

What else am I going to do on a Friday?  I asked if we could stop by my apartment so I could pick up my good 35mm camera w/ long lens before heading out.  Of course we did, and I picked up the UPS box on my doorstep (more on that later).  Him and Monika have been birding in the area for awhile, but of course I am generally at work and don't get much of a chance to out with other people.  Jason has seen a rufous morph red-tailed hawk down in that area and a lighter morph.  He was interested in the rufous, as for me, I LOVE the really light morphed RTHs.  The two we know we saw for sure where a lighter morph, but still the much normal RTH color patter.  Of course we saw a few eagles, but around here they are close to a dime a dozen.  There was a female Harrier Hawk kiting in the breeze at redoubt probably hunting for mice.  I love these hawks, they have such an interesting face, they almost have owl type faces.  Jason had been hunt on seeing a Northern Shrike, he had heard reports of them in the area but had yet to see one in awhile.  I hadn't seen one since I did rehabilitation work in Texas, and they were always one of my favorites to get in.  I loved the babies!  Well we were in luck, one went zooming by us and landed a short distance away in a shrub while we went out to follow a fox that had come to the road and looked like it was limping, of course I was quite worried about it.  I don't have pictures today of this, because it was a bit too far away, but I was able to snap some photos with my 35mm with a long lens.  So hopefully when I am in Seattle next weekend I can get them developed and share them with you.  After the shrike left us we had another bird come undulating flying by, with the sweet sound.  A Meadowlark, this one being a male (At this point I realized what I had seen this morning).  He landed in a tree, I hope I got some pictures with my long lens, but we were able to view him through a spotting scope for awhile.  What a sweet bird.  

View of the Olympic mountains

After returning to town we broke into the UPS box, which contained a couple of dart sets and accessories for darts.  Jason and his roommate, Lyle had me order them sets when I placed an order for tips and flights.  So of course we had to break them out and throw a few rounds of cricket.  As we were finishing up, I got a call that my truck was done at the shop.  FINALLY! So, Lyle took me over to get it.  I went home and got cleaned up before heading back over to the boys house to throw more darts and talk about heading to a potluck.  

The potluck was half the people I see regularly, the other half were new to me (I didn't know that was possible as in 2 days I will have officially been here 2 years).   It was a "come as you aren't" potluck.  That can have so many implications, I searched around my apartment and found my old devil horns.  It works, because everyone knows I am a true angel ;).  Jason borrowed a skirt from me, and actually looked like a waiter in a swank restaurant.  Lyle, put on some bib overalls and off we went to wonder around the grocery store to find something to take.  It is a fun trip to the grocery store especially in a small place like San Juan because you can get away with dressing out of norm; there really isn't a norm.  Moving on- good food, good wine, good company all made for a good evening.

Jason in his swank garb, with a bottle of Barbera wine

Jessie, the track star!  use is Ukulele as a drum, Colin drums in his snowsuit.


Lyle pimps it.

After returning home, we played another round of darts and then walked home to bed.  It was quite a day.  Not the typical day, and now I look around and think of all the stuff I need to get done today because I won't be home next weekend and realize I better get started.  

PS Happy Single Awareness Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment