February 15, 2009

New Recruits.

Not that at this time of year we are begging for new animals to come in, but it does break up the monotony of scrubbing floors, painting, and cage repair.  From Wednesday to Thursday we took in five animals.  On Friday another new animal.  I have a picture of a few of these but not of all.  So here is the run down.  We got in two ravens (one of which we euthanized do to a badly broken wing and a severe avipoxvirus), two glaccous winged gulls (one who was shot in the wing, with the pellet fragmenting into the ulna; the other a young gull covered in fryer oil), a great horned owl, who was tagged by a car and has some neuro trauma, and a barred owl who got tangled in light bird netting beside a golf course.  I don't have any pictures of the raven (that is still alive, and I am not going to share pictures of the raven I euthed, b/c we took pictures of the pox for documentation for future reference) and I also don't have any of the barred owl at the moment, this bird went outside pretty quickly and I let my volunteers take care of him today (though they helped me with the other birds as well).

Here is the GHO, notice the tilt of the head to the left.

His Nystagmus has improved greatly, and his head tick is now very slow.

The adult Gull that had been shot.

Here is the pellet lodged in the bone, the vet said we will remove it if needed but right now, we are leaving it in.  The recovery would be quicker if it can function with the pellet still in the bone.

The young gull, this was taken after the bath process.  Looks soo much better.  It may need some touch up spots, but right now looks 1000% better.

Here is a bird who is not a new recruit, but someone who is enjoying the "handouts" we currently have.  From a previous post you have seen one of the other Juvi bald eagles who has been feasting on the left over deer carcass.  This is the other one I have been seeing hanging around.  This juvi landed in a tree right over our seal pools and hung out there for several hours today.  Meaning I could get some lovely shots of him enjoying the sun. He even attempted to unload on me.  Though I saw the ques for this and backed up.

Look at that beak..


Beautiful eyes...

Not much else besides having to do some tougher supportive care.  It is never fun to tube and force feed animals.

I hope you all had a productive day.  If you live around here, got a chance to get out and enjoy the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment