February 12, 2009

Happy Darwin Day

Today is the anniversary of Darwin's birth, 200 years to be exact.  It is amazing the concepts he was so vocal about are that old, but alas they are.  Of course, Scientific America has had some great articles in it this month about Darwin and evolution and how there is more scientific proof every day to support such a theory.  I suppose some of you will tell me I am wrong, and me coming from a pretty devote Roman Catholic background I don't blame you.  But I have just learned so much through college and even the work I do, that some things have evolved, adapted, and changed.  One good example of adaptation can be seen in this crow video.  

Other than that.  My day has been filled with a raven with a broken wing and a severe case of poxs.  Two Glauccous-winged Gulls, one with possible bb shot, the other covered in fryer oil.  And the butchering of a beautiful 3 point buck, I picked him up on Tuesday night and had him in our walk in fridge as there was no time yesterday to do any kind of meat salvage of him.  This morning I did.  Now that I am done with lunch it should be time to x-ray the gulls wing to see if there is indeed a pellet in there, and if it hit a bone.

Well, I'm back to finish my blog after a full day.  Yes there is a pellet in the gulls wing, and it is actually lodged in the Ulna.  We will talk to the vet to see if she wants to remove it or just leave it.  I also picked up a hit by car Great Horned Owl.  He was absolutely gorgeous.  It has a pretty bad head tilt, and nystagmus.  I wanted to take photos but I spent all afternoon taking photos of eagles visiting the deer carcass (though they aren't too great), as well as, pictures of the poxs on the raven.  As we were checking in the GHO- someone else stopped in with another raven, this one too was covered with Pox!  We will see if he eats and then go from there.    There were a few other calls & then finally got to go home.  Now I am waiting for dinner to cook and then probably a night of tv. 

Onyx, pissed off laying on me last night b/c I kept flipping her ears back.

The "unique" eagle that hangs out.  He has such a spotty chest.  It is hard to believe it is an eagle.

Isn't he gorgeous?

And adult sits in the trees, there were 4 of them 2 adults, 2 juvi/subadult coloring  feasting on the eagle.

Lots of pictures of the goreous eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment