March 25, 2009

busy busy busy

It has been a very busy week, already!  We don't have babies in and you have heard me elude to the critical case patients we have (2 eagles).  Well we just added to that a HBC (Hit By Car) Fox.  He has some head trauma going on, and has many teeth broken :(.  We did radiographs first thing while he was still under sedation and couldn't see anything obvious.  I ran the rads into our mammal vet and will hopefully hear from her tomorrow morning, if not I will call her and set up a time to bring him in as we would like to know a little more what is going on in the mouth and see if there are any more teeth fragments (as he was waking up as I was cleaning his mouth up) that need to be removed. 

As for our patients, the eagles are doing better.  We did a blood draw on #2 today, the veins looked great and I was very proud that I didn't blow it, I did give a very small hematoma but I call that a success when many of the times it ends up worse (it is what happens when you don't do avian blood draws too often).  This evening we decided to try solid pieces of venison instead of tubing the eagle again.  She is getting very smart to the catching and tubing process and is becoming quite the little bitch.  Shona force fed 2 pieces and then she started to grabbing the pieces off the forceps, AND then she got very agitated trying to bite Shona b/c she wasn't getting fed fast enough.  Shona picked up the tray we were using to feed and she was grabbing the bit size pieces off all by herself!!!!!  Amazing, she of course started to move a lot, moving her feet and trying to buck forward which lead to me having very shaky arms from trying to keep her steady.  Tomorrow we will throw some venison in with her to eat on her own.  Plus have our avian vet come and see if we can do some better clean up on the face (she will need to be gassed down) from all the dried blood from the territorial dispute.  

Here are some pic of our "good animals" at center.

Our Northern Pygmy Owl.

Shona removes the wing tape I put on to try and keep him from using the Right wing to much, there is most likely a corocoid break.

Our great horned owl,  remember him with the 90 degree head tilt.

Just about ready for release, about 5 more days here and away he goes!!!!



This isn't a rehab animal, this picture my brother emailed me from the National Geographic Site.  I thought it was just an amazing photo of a Great Egret taking on a rainbow trout!



I hope you enjoyed your day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment