March 24, 2009

Oh a gull wind.

Today was the pretty typical work day, feed animals, clean animals, clean center, work on projects.  PS I was reminded today just how much I love to use a pressure sprayer.  I didn't care that it was slightly cold and breezy out, that my pants were getting soaked, and my hands felt like ice; just as long as I saw the results of the algae, paint residue, and dirt melt away.  Shortly after finishing pressure washing the cage cleaning slab and the seal nursery drain trench, I decided it wasn't too breezy out that the gull couldn't be released.  

This is a very happy thing.  It isn't too often that we get to release an adult gull, let a lone, an adult gull who has been shot, a broken bone, AND still has the pellet in the Ulna.  Our vet thought it was not an issue to leave it in, and it could actually cause damage and longer healing time if removed.  So I headed to False Bay with our Thayer Gull visitor after talking to our local Audubon rep to make sure that we had some hanging out in the area.  The wind was actually much stronger on that side of the island.  He took off out of carrier, and hit the wall of wind.  He did a beautiful hover and then dropped his head, and plowed right through the wind over to the silty water by other gulls.  Check it out. 

Right out of the carrier after take off.

Hunkering in to head to the other gulls.

I thought I would share with you the latest photos of our eagle flight cage.  It is almost done!  How exciting, especially since we have a couple of eagle in house right now.  I don't know if either of them will make it to this point, but good to know we have it if they do.


The front of the eagle flight, with the large sliding door.

Inside facing the back corner, the top drop panels are released at the moment.

View towards the front of the cage, where the eagles will soon live.

Vanessa has arrived as our new rehabber, we will be spending lots of time getting her up and running.  Time to get ready for the busy baby season.

Okay, time to eat some dinner.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment