March 4, 2009

Productive day

I would love to say that today has been the most productive day of the week, but that is far from the truth.  I can say that it was the most productive day animal care.  We all know that I have spent the week painting, stripping floors, waxing floors, reading intern applications, etc.  But when I came in today I had already decided I was going to move the Great Horned Owl to a mew, and that is exactly what I was going to do.  After I cleaned and feed the Cooper's Hawk I talked to Shona about when we thought he could be moved, as he has become very active and actually taloned me twice today through both a hand towel & gloves!  I also got one of the aviaries set up for him.  I also got to play with a new piece of equipment I had recently ordered, a submersible pump.  It was time again to change the pool water in the cage where we are housing the swan.  It isn't an easy task to bucket the water out and to get it away from the cage to avoid over saturating the area around the cage, so I bought the pump.  It took only 15 minutes to get the water all out of the cage.  

Here are a few photos from today's moves.

Cooper's Hawks just don't sit still.  I was trying to get a good photo of him, in this one he was shaking his head back and forth.

Of course we have a tail wiggle in this one.

Better, still has some head movement.


Best pic I think I got.

The Great Horned Owl, chills on a stump.  I took this through the slats of the cage.. he is much calmer than he is below.

Animal behaviorist:  ear tufts back, scared/stressed.

At the end of the day from up above.  Was really fluffed when I first entered with his rat for dinner.  Then calmed down and put his ear tufts back up.

The rest of my day was filled with reading more intern applications, and checking on the critters in their new surroundings.  I have just tomorrow to work before I head down to Seattle before flying out to Chicago for the NWRA symposium.  

I hope you had a good day, now I am off to finish making my dinner, and finish laundry.  aww to have a quasi clean home again.

1 comment: