March 16, 2009

Oh what a week.

Oh what a week and a whirlwind week at that.  You have already seen some pictures from Chicago and sadly I really don't have any more to share with you.  So, at this point I expect to have 50% of you you tuning me out at this point b/c of the lack of photos.  Don't worry I am not offended, that is the only reason I come here as well :).  All the fun started with a 4 hour tour of Willowbrook Rehab center in Bloomingdale, IL.  Later that night there was an ice breaker welcome to all those there for the symposium.  The next day, Wednesday, was the day we got down to business.  After the 3 hour opening presentations, it was off to lunch, and onto learning!  

To let you know the kind of schedule I was on I will be moderately detailed in my listings.  I won't list out ever lecture I went to, you want to know just let me know.  Wednesday afternoon was a block of 4 hours of lectures and then dinner and then back again for another 2 hours of lectures.  This is the night that I went out with some of the girls from PAWS of Lynnwood, and met up with people from Texas and also the Feather Project people.  Thursday I attended 4 hours straight of Pharmacology talks; all in the same room, in the same chair, ugh!  The afternoon was broken up a bit, I did 2 more regular lectures and then 2 lectures that related to the two workshops I would be taking. I crashed early this night, falling asleep at 9 pm while watching tv.  Friday morning was again another 4 hours of lectures, followed by 2 more hours of lecture and then doing a 2 hour workshop on Wound Management.  Friday night was the banquet night, so we had good food provided, great speakers, and fun raffles.  I didn't buy any raffle tickets b/c I had traveled carry-on only so if I got something big or with fluid I wouldn't be able to transport home. Then Saturday once again was up bright and early to participate in my second workshop, Clinical Diagnostic sampling, I learned a lot like how to prepare in house blood stains, as well as bacterial stains.  I caught another 2 hours of lectures before I had to prep to leave on my flight home.

My flight was pretty good, relatively quick, we got in a 1/2 hour earlier than scheduled which was great b/c I was headed into Seattle for a concert with friends.  Doing a quick change in my car before I left the airport. I headed that direction.  I got a great parking spot right next to the venue and called my friends to find out where they were.  Let's just say I have an internal compass issue and getting directions from 2 different sources I headed off in the wrong direction.  After walking 3 miles I finally found them.  After that we headed up to concert.  We went to see Brett Dennen, which had a sold out show at the Showbox at the Market.  It was a good show, my friends all headed in different directions in the show, which was kind of sad for me as even if not talking during a concert it is still nice to have your friends around (maybe that is just the me girl thing, or the me hating to be by myself thing).  I had already spent the entire week in Chicago doing everything on my own and forcing myself outside of my comfort zone that I really didn't want to have to endure that with friends around.  After the concert was over I headed back to North Bend, with my friends following me for a place to crash.  It was nice to get back to something familiar and to see my cats and brother again!

Sunday was a travel day to the island, which was a mix of snow, wind, and rain. Once back on the island I had such a dehydration headache I thought my head was going to explode.  I settled in with lots of water, juice, and tea and the weeks work of DVR programs to watch.

Today, I feel incredibly lost at work and am trying to get myself refocused.  I need to put all my notes from the symposium down the computer before I forget what I have learned so we can utilize the information later.  I am really worried that we are hitting the calm before the storm.  It is way to quiet right now and I know that other centers in the area already have their first baby bunnies and squirrels of the year! YIKES.  I returned home to the many animals having been released.  The swan was released in Whatcom county by the direction of the WDF&W.  We called and asked them what they wanted the next step to be as we had taken her as far as we could in rehab and could only cause more damage the longer she stayed with us (more deterioration of flight muscle, foot injuries from being on substrate they normally don't spend 24 hours a day on, etc.).  She received a neck band and number so she can be monitored in the future.  The cooper's hawk and gw gull had also been released leaving with just the great-horned owl, thayer's gull, and a new arrival of a hit window robin in care.

Other than that, I am trying to get back to normal of island life.

Photos I took with my phone at the concert.. my camera was in my luggage in the car.

Another shot of Brett Dennen during his encore.


No comments:

Post a Comment