March 23, 2009

going topless.

So tonight I have heard a lot about Redoubt, and Alaskan Volcano that has been very seismically active over the past week and over the past 24 hours has erupted 6 times coating parts of Alaska in a wave of ash.  This is a bit concerning for me b/c well, it will be heading this way first.  I was too young to remember Mt. Saint Helen's eruption, and from the sounds of it, this isn't as intense, but still I haven't really thought about the disaster planning that we have been working on at work to include volcanic debris.

I uploaded the +24 hr puff predition for Potential Eruption at Redoubt for 16 km Plume from the Alaska Volcano Observatory and here is what they predict. 


Pretty crazy huh!  Down past Jun.  I am going to keep monitoring this b/c I think it is interesting and will most likely affect here in some way.    The other thing, Cleveland Volcano in the Aleutian Island is listed as advisory and there has been small plumes from it earlier this year (but it appears to be a bit more active).  You do wonder with this kind of seismic activity going on in other parts of Alaska just what is brewing under the surface there.

1 comment:

  1. The whole thing is very fascinating. My cousin lives really close to there in Seldovia though I'm not sure if he's there right now as he works off the Aleutians most of the year. I'm trying to get in contact with him to see if he maybe was close enough to get some pictures.

    ReplyDelete