April 13, 2009

babies.

Well, wow last night was a dozy!  It start out pretty smooth, but we (the on call person) got a call from the owner of the house that had the otter kits we picked up.  They were saying the mom was coming around and seem to be looking for her babies.   We discussed the possibility of trying to reunite them in the morning; 6 am to be exact.   So I was relaxing at home watching some tv and got a nice little laugh out of my cat.  She decided that she wanted to be my laptop and crawled in my laptop bag!



Heading to bed dreading the early morning rise I quickly nodded off into sleep land.  I was awoken by my phone going off at 1:30 WTF!  It was the on call person and she was saying the guy was not leaving her alone and calling ever 1/2 an hour and threatening to call the police (like they could do anything).  I decided I would nip it in the bud and just take the otters out then!  He continued to call even after I was in route b/c I was taking to long- it takes over a half an hour to get there and that doesn't account fro stopping to get the the otters.  I set them up where it would be most likely she would come get them.  Home again, all wired I had a hard time getting back to sleep somewhere around 4 am I finally was back in sleepyland.  The bad part, I forgot to reset my alarm so I woke up thinking it was quite bright outside and found I was then late for work.  I headed out the door in under 5 minutes, getting to work and calling to find out about the otters.  Mom didn't come back and they wanted to try again tonight.  At this point us at center decided it was best to abort the reunite plan, they weren't exactly happy about it, but we weren't excited they decided to close off the access to the den from the mom.  



Back to center we got them cleaned up, warmed up, and food into their bellies!

I was off kilter all day b/c of the late run, and then the late start so I wondered around and did some projects that have been on my personal list of things to get done.  I even went and peeked at the baby barn owls, they are really changing from the last time I put pics up.  Their outer down is starting drop off and real feathers are starting to go.




Now I have to figure out what to eat for dinner and will have to do a couple of night feeds for the otters that are in an incubator in my bathroom.  I am really fearful that I won't make it to midnight for their last feed.  It is going to be a long night!

No comments:

Post a Comment