April 6, 2009

Shop class: C+

Well, the past few days have been absolutely gorgeous on the island.  To bad I have had to work, I wish I could say that I have utilized my time outside but I can't really say that, huh?   I have utilized my time at work though.  I built me a new squirrel den box.  I always have this vision that I would be good at that kind of stuff.  I can build things sure!!  Yeah, not as well as I think I can.  I don't know if I just lose interest after awhile.  I measured everything, I cut with the table saw, found screws that would work. Then found out that well one piece was too small, no problem I could use it for another part since I hadn't made the back yet, but now I needed a new top.  I improvised and made made something that would work.  I started to put it together thinking I was staying square to the side, yet on sided ended up not so square meaning I needed to trim off some of another piece to make that side work.  GRRRRR....  I have a finished product, it will work and I will make it work well :)  but it just isn't the prettiest home.  I think I should stick to actually caring for the squirrels that will use it.  PS the front looks so big b/c I used an old den box as my model.  I think I may take the front off and actually cut it down so it doesn't stick up soo far.
  
Squirrel den box to go up on the shelf in the mammal cage, the "door" is shut like when we catch them for release.

Door is open, ready for its first inhabitants.

Other than that not much is new.  We got the Great-horned owl out for release today and we will probably be getting our first baby mammal of the year flown over in the morning.  God bless us the patience to feed cottontails. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment