April 25, 2009

initial play

So I got one of the best presents ever (okay actually a couple of them).  One was new 6x9 speakers for my truck which I just finished installing.  They didn't come with the adaptor part like the set of front speakers I got so I am going to have to go back in with some electrical lamps to make sure that the wires don't come loose.

But the other big thing I got was a DSLR- Digital Single Lens Reflex- camera.  I have had one of these on my list for a few years now.  I have an SLR that I got back almost 5 years ago now as a Christmas present that has gotten quite a bit of use, especially since I had been given a 70-300mm lens at one point too.  The only problem I has crept up lately is that I live on an island that doesn't have anyone who makes photo cds, I really don't care about prints that much, but like digital formatting.  Plus I take a lot of photos and I can't see what they look like many times up to months later, it would also be nice to see what I need to adjust for right away, as I normally only shoot in manual mode.  Now, Instant gratification! and if the picture didn't work well then I can just snap more and go from there.  It is a different brand than my SLR (canon) so my ubber great lens won't work on my new Nikon, but I have already added a tele long lens to my next wish list (and actually told my brother if he hasn't gotten me anything yet, here is something that would be fabulous!).  I am going through the book pretty thoroughly so I can learn about the features and am really excited to get out there and use it.  Besides the camera I got an extra battery (always a plus with rechargeables), an SD card, and even a wireless remote for shooting, I will get plenty of use out of that as you know I have been trying to catch the hummies in the act of feeding on my feeder and being able to hit a button will just be faboo, which is what I was doing on my Canon, but like I said, whenever I go back to mainland I will find out how those photos turn out.

Anyway, my first test subject has basically been my cat so here are a few photos over the past day of me messing with settings.  Enjoy.

Onyx got caught in the act of playing with the box my camera came in.  She has a bluish hue here which I can even eliminate straight from my camera, no need to go to photoshop (which I don't have) or ACDsee to change.

I called Onyx out when she was checking out the speakers I had opened to look at the instructions.  Then she saw a hummingbird, then snap!

Sleepy kitties hate it when you call their name.

Lick lick lick

Testing different types of flashes.

Playing with my wireless remote.  That is right.. Go huskies (shush I stole this from the bar)... plus my point and shoot digi behind it.

The first photo.  Onyx really likes to sit on my coffee table books, especially my Hubble one that I got from friends for Christmas.

Okay that is it for now. I am going out to enjoy some sun with a friend and take my camera with me so more to share later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment