April 1, 2009

is it the quiet before the storm??

Well, I heard last Saturday was a doozy at work.  I came into one less Eagle, a robin replacing the one we had, and the first babies of the year... 3 barn owlets.  Well the last few days have been kind of quiet.  I have been able to even work on cleaning projects and painting projects.  I painted a few doors at the center and have realized there are many touch up spots that need to be done.  I don't think they will happen this year.  I also know that I will have to add painting the quiet room, treatment room, and human kitchen to the list for the winter.  

Sadness has abounded though, we did have to euth one of the baby barn owls.  It came in with a broken wing and over the next few days we noticed that the leg was splayed a bit.  I can't say that it was broken, but we really wonder if the owl had brittle bone syndrome as the radiograph showed the bones really light (possibly meaning they were weak).  

Other than that, I woke to the weather playing April Fool's on us, it was actually snowing!  My truck was covered with a heavy wet smush that I had to clean off before heading to work.  Shortly after I got to work it turned to a heavy thick rain, cold rain... all .... day.....long!  Ugh.

After feeding the critters, including the owls in my "hood" (Shona said I looked like a KKK member), b/c we have a white hood with a owl face drawn on it with eyes cut out for feeding young owls who can be imprinted.   I washed walls in 2 rooms & painted 2 doors that we recently placed windows in.

I haven't been up to much outside of work.  I took Guinness for a walk at the beach on Sunday but since then the weather really hasn't cooperated.  Only getting colder and wetter since Sunday.  Hopefully we get to see the sun again soon.  I really am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment