January 2, 2009

Clarity

Today has been a day of clarity for me. If you read my blog yesterday you could probably could sense the small (heavy) tone of pessimism in the posting. Today had a different breath to it. The clarity started to come when the sun came up. I was up a bit before the sun today as I was catching the 8 am ferry off the island. While in route I got to watch the sun rise while we were crossing the water. The water wasn't the flattest I had ever seen it, but it was a nice calm trip. I spent the trip glancing between the the big bright orb in the sky and doing some reflecting on past, present, and future, and doing some of the computer work I need to do for end of the year reports for work (I know it is my day off, but it made the hour well used).

After arriving in Anacortes I dropped my truck of at Les Schawb to have new tires put on my truck. I walked up to one of the coffee shops and continued to work on reports for about an hour. Even just sitting in the coffee shop working on the report had my mind more open and reflection on the past work year.

My truck wasn't ready when I walked back down so I got out a book, Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, that I have been reading. I don't what it has been about this winter but as of right now I have only finished one book since October. I got three more for Christmas, so I am going to have to get my bum in gear. This time last year, I was doing a book report on like 4 books that I had finished in a month! That is just something else I haven't felt like doing lately, but like I said I am feeling some cosmic change. Soon after, my truck was ready and I went a grabbed a bite to eat and walked around the local drug store. I still had two hours to kill... what to do, what to do. I finally decided I guess I can run to Burlington mall and do some shopping, even though I really wasn't in a shopping/buying mood. Driving out of town I was in the left-hand lane and went past WA-20 towards Oak Harbor and thought, "you know I always think about going over to Deception Pass and have yet to do it. I think today is THE day." I turned around at the next stoplight and headed that way.

It was quite amazing. I went with the flow of traffic and traversed the bridge by car and then turned around at a gas station a few miles down, came back towards the bridge, and parked in the scenic vista parking. I, of course, walked across the bridge taking a whole bunch of photos. On my way back the N bound side of the "walking" bridge, a gentleman was holding onto the bridge because a semi just passed. He asked me, "did you feel that?" I responded, "the truck, yep." He told me there was a sea lion down swimming down in the pass, heading towards Apple Island. I got out my binos, but I could never get a good sight of him/her while surfacing. The guy was pretty worried about me because I wasn't stabilizing myself on the bridge or the sidewalk cables, but I was okay. Soon he said, "I have to get off this bridge. Do you need me to walk you to the other end." (he was heading the other direction with his teenage son) I told him, "No I was just fine, but I know for one that there is no way that I would ever be able to get my mom up on this bridge. I remember as a child driving the Gorge bridge and my mom getting uptight in the car about the height." After he moved on, I again, looked around and felt at that point quite small. I could tell it would be very easy to trip backwards and fall into traffic, or even topple over the bridge (most people wouldn't, but with me being top heavy anything is possible haha).

This is Apple Island.


Deception Island


Notice there is a beach in the left side of the photo. This is the beach I shot photos back up from.



Underneath the bridge.


looking across at the bridge.


the is a little bitty gull flying down there.


I be winking at you..no seriously the sun was so bright.


I think I am the Boondock Saints lost sister, lol I even have a cross on today.

I hiked down to the Small North Beach and snapped a few photos. After a little bit, being annoyed by a family and their shittlins, I headed back up to my truck. It was time to return to town, get gas, and head to the ferry terminal.


Hiking down.


Hello up there....


One last "me" photo

I got to the ferry terminal I was exactly one hour from departure time, and I was one of the last cars in the regular lanes. I couldn't believe how many people were coming to the island! On the ferry I ran into a friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while, so we chatted. We got caught up on all the happenings, what has been happening on the island, how things have been at the hollow, and what else is going on in everyday life.

The day of clarity and excitement didn't end there. I came home to having some packages at my house. It was like Christmas all over with new tires, some new jeans, a wool undershirt, some mountain hardwear hyperdry tights, and a pair of snow boots, basically turning San Juan into a snow free zone because of it, all from backcountry.com. Now I can stay cozy warm, and ready for more snow.

I had a premonition that the day was going to be hectic with the quick run off island and then having to come back, and not knowing how long it would take with my truck and what else I could get done. I am so glad I was wrong!

I had a fantastic day, I hope you did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment