January 12, 2009

Small Birds!

I got a good laugh today with our small owls. We have two Saw-whet owls still in care and they are both basically just waiting for release. Both came in with head trauma from being struck in the head (either running into a window or a car). Saw-whet #2 had an eye injury that will not heal normally, but yet s/he does quite well at hitting perches and landing on food.


This little saw-whet does the "you won't see me if I stand up as straight as possible routine"


Check it out, plus you can see the eye damage here.

As for Saw-whet #1, she was the one who came in a horribly long time ago, but is now ready to go. Come on weather clear up! She doesn't do the straight up, she does "fluff". She is also into caching her food right now. Ever time I go in there parts of her mice are all over the cage, tucked in corners, up on high branches. Meaning, that she knows how much food she needs and is being good about not over stuffing herself (as she had been doing earlier, she was one little heavy saw-whet after coming in very thin) and also a good sign of being healthy enough for release.


Here she sits on 1/3 of a rat.





As you can see I am having some lighting/coloring issues with my new camera. I had a friend suggest using tape to help diffuse the flash (I try not to use it, but I didn't have the stability in the cage to do a non flash photo, even with amping up the ISO). If anyone has any suggestions of making the flash less harsh but still workable I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment